…to provide students with the academic and social
opportunities that will enable them to become productive
and responsible individuals in our society.
Our goal is to provide an academic atmosphere in which
every child will develop curiosity; demonstrate the self-discipline
to persevere; engage in problem-solving strategies;
employ critical thinking skills; embrace risk-taking;
take pride in developing good work habits; and
become a self-directed learner and independent thinker.
In addition, we encourage all children to become individuals
who are tolerant of individual differences, who respect themselves and others and who participate in the decision-making process.
We take pride in our academic accomplishments, active participation in the arts, focus on health and wellness, and involvement in service related activities.
A summary of our accomplishments follows:
- NYS Recognition as a High Performing/Gap Closing School District
- Participation in the Long Island String Festival Association and Suffolk County Music Educators' Association Competitions.
- Newsday FutureCorps Community Service Recognition (the only Long Island school to receive this honor five times) for projects including
- Avenue of Americas of Heritage Park
- Ronald McDonald House- Children Helping Children
- Caring Kids Clothing Drive
- Energy Czars Conservation Initiative
- Prevention Pals - Connecting with Senior Community Members
- 28th year designated a Suffolk County Reading Council Honor School
- Brookhaven County Executive Proclamation for Town Food Drive
- Brookhaven Interface Toy Drive- top collection site 2003-present
- Contributions in excess of $100,000 to: ALS Ride for Life, Kevin Williams Foundation, American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, Angela's House, Stony Brook University Children's Hospital, Pennies for Patients, Children’s Orphanage of Haiti, St. Jude's Children's Hospital and UNICEF as well as donations to our armed forces, local food pantries and shelters.
- State Record 13th time - New York State Physical Fitness Champions
School Programs and Partnerships:
- Bucket Filler, Caught Being Good and Peaceful Bus - Character Education and School Citizenship Recognition
- Cornell Cooperative Bobwhite Quail Repopulation Project
- Athletes Helping Athletes - High School Student Scholar Athletes and Fourth Grade students learn the importance of decision making, study habits and involvement in the school community.
- Police Smart - Suffolk County Police Department collaboration promoting tolerance, bully prevention, stranger danger and personal safety.
- Future Business Leaders of America - Exploration of career paths linking high school and elementary students.
Please visit classroom links as well as, Parent Resources (including the School Handbook, information on the NYS Core Curriculum, DASA, academic resources and Character Education), clubs and activities, and the monthly events calendar.
Thank you for visiting the Mount Sinai Elementary School website.
Dr. John Gentilcore